Council Tool ~ Hudson Bay Bushcraft/Camp Axe~2lb/19" Handle w/mask
Every vesiculate head is finished with a combination of experience, new technology, and old-fashioned hand-to-eye coordination. In addition to steel grade and head pattern, crucial characteristics through proper heat treating, shot blasting and different abrasive applications produce this premium axe head of superior sharpness and quality.
2 lbs. Hudson Bay Premium Velvicut® axe is a shape and size ideal for camping, hunting or hiking expeditions. The Hudson Bay is small enough to pack and carry yet big enough to get the job done. 2 lbs. head plus handle combines for an overall tool weight of approximately 2-3/4 lbs.
The Hudson Bay pattern is believed to have originated in the Biscayan area of Northern Spain and was first used in North America as a trading piece along the fur trade routes. In this Velvicut® , we took a traditional Hudson Bay pattern and added some length to the poll to improve the tool’s balance. After it is drop forged, the axe head is rough ground in a state-of-the-art robotic work cell. Then the hand work begins: an experienced artisan sharpens the cutting edge using increasingly fine abrasives and then finally with leather stropping. Relative to other patterns, the Hudson Bay has a very short eye length. This reduces the contact area between the head and handle, which can lead to looseness. This new design creates more contact area and bite between the head to handle joint. The result? A stronger and more durable tool.
The 19-inch hickory handle (before assembly) is produced from a blank selected for grain orientation and density, making it strong. Our handle pattern features a prominent grip and a slim body that allows the handle to flex a bit, improving its ergonomics. OAL length of finished tool is +-18″.
A sharp axe is a safe axe as it is less likely to glance out of the cut. Be assured that this axe has been hand honed by our skilled craftsmen and is ready to use – but is shaped with enough thickness to split campfire wood. All components are Made in USA.
- Head will last a lifetime, we guarantee it.
- Forged from 5160 grade alloy steel. “Council” is displayed on one side of the head, and the other is proudly marked “USA“.
- Bit and poll are heat treated and quenched approximately 1 in. from the cutting edge, then tempered for maximum edge holding and toughness. Final hardness Rc 52-56.
- Handle is made of grade “A” American hickory and its traditional pattern embodies the heirloom quality of axes from times gone by.
- Forged axe head is hung in a traditional manner using a softwood wedge along with a round steel wedge for added security.
- Axe head is coated with light oil to prevent rusting and to showcase the exceptional Council Tool craftsmanship. A Linseed oil coating is applied to protect the handle.
- Premium leather sheath protects the tool and user and features a buckle for fastening, a belt slit and an embossed logo. Like its companion axe, the sheath is MADE IN USA.