The Sport Utility Edition Axes are a huge upgrade in both functionality and value compared to their standard predecessors. They sit proudly on excellent American Hickory handles and are hung using a quality hardwood wedge instead of the aluminum wedges they were once fitted with. The robust and resilient finish given to the axe in the drop forging process has been left preserved and the head has been covered in a rust proofing agent to ensure its longevity. Each Sport Utility Edition is hand finished with an edge that would make any grizzled veteran woodsman proud! Be careful taking these axes out of their boxes because they come ready to take a bite out of your woodpile!
In case you missed it, THE POLL IS HARDENED.
Traditionally used by French Canadians Fur Traders as a trade tool in the Hudson Bay area & St. Lawrence River, this head pattern has remained a favorite in North America. The Hudson Bay Camp Axe head is outfitted with an 18″ curved hickory handle. One-handed camp axe, used for light splitting, chopping, driving tent pegs, etc. The pattern is thought to have originated from “Biscayan” in Northern Spain, near France.
- 2 lbs
Forged tool steel head.
- Hand sharpened, tapered bit for cutting and light splitting.
- ANSI Standards call for bit hardness of Rc 45-60, at least ½ inch back from the cutting edge. Council Tool internal standards call for tempered bit hardness of Rc 48-55 and we target 1-1/4 inches from the cutting edge.
- The poll end is also heat treated.
- Head coated with boiled Linseed Oil over the as forged finish.
- 18″ curved American hickory handle. Eye section is dried to below 10% moisture content to minimize shrinkage and help prevent loosening. Hafted high and proud.
- Axe head is hydraulically seated onto handle and secured with a traditional double wedge system.
- Approximately 1-1/4 in. of overall length of the handle is removed during assembly.
Made in USA.